About Me

My photo
I live in Melbourne Australia.

Welcome

Would love to hear what you think, and would love to visit your blog.

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Finishing

Flickr Group for 2013: the Year of The Finished Project

I have chosen  4 UFO's to work on this month.

First is The Christmas Tree quilt, designed by Maria Cook as a BOM to improve applique skills
I have done 4 or 5 blocks so far and I am working on this one at the moment. 
I plan to add 7 elements this week, mainly leaves.

Then I have our exhibition this year and I must finish this project for that.  Nothing like having a deadline is there!  I want to exhibit the other 3 year long project I've been working towards as well.  I fell in love with this book....
 and I have made some of the dolls quilt tops and they are ready to quilt.  I have been dithering over the backing fabric.  At first I wanted to have the same backing fabric for each quilt and the project got stalled while I tried to find "the perfect fabric".  Now I just will choose something I like that will hide my hand quilting stitches!  I want to buy the fabric this upcoming week, and get the quilt basted by next week.  This is the first little quilt top.
So those are the smaller projects....on to the bigger ones.

I won these blocks as part of my internet group TBLovers and have started working on putting them together.
the 10 blocks I won

 The project stalled due to trying to decide what fabrics and setting to best set off these blocks.
This is the first arrangement

But my friend, and mentor, Maria suggested putting cream sashing to give the top a more modern look.
cream sashing and scrappy cornerstones
 I had made 2 extra blocks but used the same background fabric which was very busy...so made yet another with a quieter background.  I started this week to sew the sashing to the blocks and began assembling rows.
this weeks progress                                                                                            

lastly, using up my scraps started a UFO from this book...

here is what I have done ready to go on the design wall,

I will continue to use those scraps as leaders and enders to make more slabs of fabric to include in this quilt top.

So I will plan each Friday what I will be doing next week and on Thursday 7th of Febuary will report on my overall progress towards a complete FINISH.
love karen

3 comments:

Lynne said...

Wow! You've got a lot of choice there -- no chance ot get bored! LOL

Welcome ot the Linky party -- good to have you along.

Anonymous said...

You sure have been busy, love the look of the little book
Happy sewing

karen said...

thanks Christine and Lynne, but just remember I have to keep busy in order to finish these projects!